Friday, October 14, 2011

Public Libraries?

Until I had kids, I hadn't stepped foot in a public library since I was one.  Didn't have to, I bought books I needed and couldn't think of any reason to go to a library; I didn't even think about it, they were completely off my radar. Then I had my gymnast and went to mommy group. She was just a baby and we were given a few books that I read to her, she didn't care what I read, so long as it could be chewed on. But while going to mommy group I met a librarian mommy. She was so not your typical librarian, no glasses, totally cool, and she can get quite loud when she wants. But I digress, she was telling me about this great local library getting remodeled, and it was going to include a very amazing section called storyville. Storyville is an interactive magical place for kids ages baby- 5 years. There is even a little gated section for babies with age appropriate toys and stuff where they won't get trampled on by the older kids. The other parts have great stuff like a little store complete with cash registers, play food to buy, and scales. There is a completely outfitted little house with a kitchen, attic, living room, and backyard. There is so much more and tons of details and surprises if you look for them. I could go on writing all day but I think that's enough to entice. Storyville opened at the Rosedale library 3 1/2 years ago. It became so popular they opened another one on the west side of the county in the woodlawn library. So of course the library is a terrific resource for kids, they have storyville, and all the others have some sort of play area at least. Of course they have books too. Why buy a ton of books to get bored with when you have an almost unlimited supply to switch out with for free. There are also music cd's and DVD’s to check out too. While I'm on the topic of DVD's I have to mention, if you are not very organized to forget things easily like me, it's better not to check out the DVDs. While books and cd's have a late fee of $0.25 a day, DVD’s are $2.50 which can very quickly rack up to a lot of money owed, so beware. If you go regularly and are good at keeping track of stuff, go for it. 


The library system also has great programs for kids. Baby booster story time is a fun filled 30 min. of reading books, singing songs, playing games for babies up to 2 years. They have the same kind of thing for older kids too. I took my gymnast religiously when she was a baby. Mr. Peanut Head goes sometimes, but it is harder to schedule things for the younger child. Finally the library is a great resource for yourself. When I started taking my first there I discovered workout DVD's for exercise during naps. With her that was enough, this time it is a much bigger challenge (that will be another post for another day) Books and novels for myself, as well as music for myself. The library is a great resource for a family on a budget, and not just a young family either; they are always posting about other activities for older kids, teens, knitters and the like. Just a few things to be aware of: Fees add up quick, they make it easier to keep track of your account because you can access it online. When it is cold season, some parent's don't have the decency to keep their sick kids at home, so you WILL be exposed to all sorts of stuff. You can try and be careful, but expect to get sick, and remember getting exposed to this stuff early strengthens the immune system.

Have fun while your there!

http://www.bcps.org/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment